So today I celebrate the 44th anniversary of my birth. Still am amazed I made it this far. But with the love of a good women at your side and two wonderful kids, it's not all that hard.
But this morning after I awoke, I had a revelation. One day, the birthdays for me will end. Okay, I'm not saying that to be morbid, so stick with me here. But yes, one day I will slip loose from this mortal coil and no longer be "here". Okay, a little heavy, yes. So that has led me to come up with my "Birthday Edicts" for you all to obey here-forth. So here we go.
- Take a picture with your cell phone
- Take a picture with your camera
- Draw a picture
- Color a picture
- Mold something out of clay
- Play in the sand
- Learn to play an instrument
- Pretend you know how to play an instrument and play anyway
- Write a poem
- Write a book
- Sing with your kids
- Tell jokes
I'm convinced that the world is lacking creative thinking. Creative thinking sparks ideas. Many a time when I'm either taking or working on my photography, I spend that time thinking, praying, opening my mind to possibilities. It's easy. I think if more people spent time doing that the world would be a much better place.
2. My second edict is simple. Love. Love those in your life. Don't be afraid to show it either.
3. Dream big. Always. Dreaming big never hurts anyone. It's free. It's what led me back to doing photography. It's what's driving the notion of the business called Andy Donaldson Photography. Share that with your kids, too. And if you are having problems with dreaming big, ask a kid for help. They are good at it.
So there. If you follow at least one of my edicts, then consider that your birthday gift to me and I will be appreciative.